Te Palace is a monumental building in Mantua. Built between 1524 and 1534 by Federico II Gonzaga, it is the most famous work of Italian architect Giulio Romano. The complex is now home to the Civic Museum and since 1990 the Te Palace's International Art and Culture Center organizing exhibitions of ancient and modern art and architecture. Towards the middle of the fifteenth century Mantua was divided by the "Rio" canal into two large islands surrounded by lakes; a third small island, called since the Middle Ages, and abbreviated in You, was chosen for the building of the Te Palace. The first testimonies about the presence of the Te factory are in 1526 when a building under construction is mentioned near the city, between the lakes, the director of the Church and the San Sebastian Palace. The area was swampy and lacustre, but the Gonzaga made it boned and Francis II chose it as a place for training its precious and beloved horses. His father died and became Mantua's lord, his son Frederick II decided to transform the island into a place of leisure and rest and festive receptions with the most illustrious guests, where to escape institutional duties along with his lover Isabella Boschetti . Accustomed to being childish to the agony and sophistication of the Roman villas, he found the painter Giulio Romano and some of his collaborators as a great accomplishment of his idea of "happy island". By alternating the architectural and natural elements that the area offered, sublime decorating rooms and facades, the architect expressed all his fantasy and excellence in the Te building. Officially inaugurating Palazzo Te in 1530 was Emperor Carlo V who spent a whole day; on the occasion gave Federico II Gonzaga the title of duke because until then the Gonzaga were marquises. The palace is a square-shaped building with a large square courtyard at the center, once decorated with a maze, with four entrances on the four sides. The palace has unusual proportions: it looks like a wide and low block, to a single plane, whose height is about a quarter of the width. The complex is symmetrical according to a longitudinal axis. On the main side of the northwest axis, the entrance opening is a square vestibule, with four columns dividing it into three naves. The vault of the central nave is a barrel and the two sides show a flat ceiling (in the manner of the atrium described by Vitruvio and so successful in the Italian palaces of the sixteenth century), thus assuming a serene extrusion conformation. The main entrance south - east towards the city and the garden is a loggia, the so - called Great Loggia, on the outside consisting of three large arcades on columns combined to form a succession of sergents. which are mirrored in the small pasture ponds. The balcony continues to the second log, on the top of the facade was originally a loggia; this side of the palace was extensively restored at the end of the 18th century, when the triangular pediment, which overwhelmed the large central sergents, was also added. The cave apartment was built around 1530 in the east corner of the garden near the exedra that ends the villa's space. The apartment consists of a few rooms of a much smaller size than those of the body of the palace; a loggia that opens in a small garden shows what remains of a decorated and frescoed environment. From the garden you access the Cave, a small room used as a bathroom, from the truly unusual realization. The opening is realized as to give the idea of being a natural environment, a cave, no marble and refined materials of the rest of the palace, the interiors were covered with shells and water games were to cheer the visitor and wonder at it at the same time.