Tourist Attraction in Mantua: Basilica di Sant'Andrea
The cross-church basilica of Sant'Andrea is the largest church in Mantua. Leon Battista Alberti's work in the development of Renaissance architecture was completed many years after the death of the architect, in ways not always in line with the original projects. It has the dignity of a smaller basilica. In the crypt there are two relics with blood stained with Christ, which would bring the Roman soldier Longino. A first pre-Romanesque religious building dedicated to Sant'Andrea was built in 1046 by the will of Beatrice of Lorraine, mother of Matilde di Canossa, following the discovery of the relics of the Blood of Christ, which took place in 804. The oratorio, completed in 1055, rises on the ruins of Sant'Andrea Hospital and adjacent to the monastery, built by Bishop Itolfo in 1037. With the discovery of a second relic in 1049, the Benedictine monastery was rebuilt. The only remains currently visible are the Gothic bell tower and a side of the cloister. Finally, the church was finally restored from 1472, on the project of Leon Battista Alberti and commissioned by Lord Mantova Ludovico III Gonzaga (and his son Francesco, cardinal), who wanted to make it a symbol of his power over the city and the prestige of family. The purpose of the new construction was to accommodate the pilgrims who came during the Ascension Day, during which a vase was kept venerated containing what is believed to be the blood of Christ, brought to Mantua, according to tradition, by the centurionLongino. The relic, very venerated since the Middle Ages, but especially in the 15th century, and carried in procession on the streets of the city on Holy Friday, is now preserved in the Sacred Vases kept in the altar located in the basilica crypt. The work started around 1460 and continued until Alberti's death. The building was taken over The imposing Gothic bell tower houses five nineteenth-century bells), the largest of which weighs 2555 kg, was cast by Cavadini of Verona. The strong shocks of Emilia's earthquake on May 20 and 29, 2012 caused damage to the dome of the basilica. Alberti created his project "more capable eternally more worthy and happier" inspired by the model of the Etruscan temple described by Marco Vitruvio Pollione, a building with fronted pronaos with columns well detached and without peristasis. That of Alberti went against and replaced with a previous project by Antonio Manetti, probably three naves, similar to the Brunelleschi churches. First he changed the orientation of the church by aligning it with the road axis that connected the Doge's Palace to the Tea.