Tourist Attraction in Milan: Giardini pubblici Indro Montanelli
The Indro Montanelli public gardens are a park in Milan, located in the Porta Venezia area. Inaugurated in 1784 by the Habsburg administration, they were the first Milanese park dedicated to collective leisure. For over two centuries they have been called public gardens, Gardens of Porta Venezia, gardens via Palestro or simply the gardens, and use is still in use. In the second half of the eighteenth century the public garden area was a large plot of slightly depressed land, on the northern edge of the city, within the Spanish walls. It was owned by the Dugnani family and divided into rented gardens, crossed by a network of watercourses whose traces remain visible in the ponds and canals in the public gardens themselves and in the nearby park of Villa Reale, located around Half of the Palestro street in front of the southern side of the gardens. In the area of the latter, there were still the buildings of two monasteries, that of San Dionigi and that of the Carcanis, which were suppressed by the Hapsburg government. In 1780 Archduke Ferdinand of Asburgo-Este, Viceroy in Milan, from October 1771 to May 1796, instructed the architect Giuseppe Piermarini to transform that area into a public park, incorporating the acquired spaces of the two monasteries, both With its own gardens. The work was carried out (in the eastern part) between 1782 and 1786, under the leadership of captain Giuseppe Crippa, and on September 26, 1786 Piermarini carried out the tests of all the works approving it: they were the first public gardens in the city. The project, in the style of the French garden, with geometric flower beds and wide open views of tree-lined avenues, was coordinated with that of the "Boschetti" 1787-1788, the gardens of via Marina (consisting of lilies, elms and parallel horse chestnuts). Within the garden fence are the Planetary Civic "Ulrico Hoepli", designed by architect Piero Portaluppi in 1929; The Civic Museum of Natural History, designed in 1888 by Giovanni Ceruti after the demolition of the 1881 Exposition Hall of the Dugnani Palace, built in the 17th century and modified and restored in the 18th century, owned by the municipality since the end of the nineteenth century . There are numerous monuments to Milan, but not to the 19th century, as well as the recent statue of Vito Tongiani depicting the journalist and writer Indro Montanelli, to whom the gardens have been named since 2002. Every morning Indro Montanelli, going to the Newspaper He had founded and directed, he used to stand for a few moments on a garden bench, near the entrance to Piazza Cavour, where is the Palace of the Giornali, then the headquarters of the newspaper. It was there at the corner between Via Manin and Piazza Cavour, which on the morning of 2 June 1977 Montanelli was the object of an attack by the Red Brigades that fired at his legs and is close to the scene of the assassination that stands the statue in his memory.