The Scala Theater, frequently quoted informally as "La Scala", is the main opera house in Milan. Considered one of the most prestigious theaters in the world, it has hosted for over 238 years the leading artists in the international field of opera, and more generally of classical music, often commissioning works still on the billboards of the major theaters in the world. The theater was inaugurated on August 3, 1778 with the recognized Europe composed for the occasion by Antonio Salieri and named after the church of Santa Maria alla Scala demolished to make way for the New Regio Ducal Teatro alla Scala. From the foundation year it is home to the choir, orchestra, dance hall, and since 1982 also the Philharmonic. The theatrical complex is located in the homonymous square, alongside Ricordi Casino, now home of the Theatre Museum at Scala. The first structures dedicated to opera in Milan were the court theaters that change in the courtyard of the Royal Palace: a first salon entitled Margherita of Austria-Styria, wife of Philip III of Spain, erected in 1598 and destroyed by a fire January 5, 1708 and the Royal Ducal Theater, built nine years later at the expense of the nobility of Milan on the project of Gian Domenico Barbieri. For the stage of these theaters were commissioned works of important composers, including: Nicola Porpora (Siface), Tomaso Albinoni (The Fortress at Cement), Christoph Willibald Gluck (Artaserse, Demofoonte, Sofonisba, Ippolito), Josef Mysliveček Tamerlan), Giovanni Paisiello (Sismano in Mogol, Andromeda), Wolfgang Amadeus. The Teatro alla Scala was built in accordance with the decree of Empress Maria Teresa of Austria after a fire. The project was entrusted to the famous architect Giuseppe Piermarini, who also provided the design of the "Interinale Theater", a temporary structure built at the church of San Giovanni in Conca, and the Teatro della Cannobiana, with a plan very similar to that of Scala, but in small size, dedicated to more "popular" shows. The pictorial decoration was made by Giuseppe Levati and Giuseppe Reina. Domenico Riccardi painted the curtain, representing, at the suggestion of Parini, the "Parnaso". The expenses for the construction of the new theater were sustained by the palace of the "Regio Ducale" in exchange for the renewal of the property of the stage. In the presence of the governor of Milan, Archduke Ferdinando d'Asburgo Este, Maria Beatrice d'Este , Count Carlo Giuseppe of Firmian and Duke Francesco III d'Este, the "New Regio Ducal Theater" was inaugurated for 3,000 seats with the first absolute representation of Europa recognized by Salieri. The libretto, by Abbot Mattia Verazzi, was designed to give space to arias full of virtuosity, and is characterized by the numerous duets, third parties and final actor complexes. On the evening of August 3rd, there was also Pietro Verri among the spectators. Particularly impressive was the beginning in medias res, "while you are waiting for it when it comes to the beginning, you hear a thunder, then a flash of lightning and this is the signal because the orchestra begins, at the moment you get up the curtain, see a stormy sea. " The Pafio and Mirra dances were inaugurated, or the captives of Cyprus, Salieri's music, Claudio Legrand's choreography, and Apollo placato, music by Luigi de Baillou, choreography by Giuseppe Canziani. The theater was not just a venue at the time: the auditorium was often devoted to dance; the halls were used by the owners to receive guests, eat and manage their social life, in the reduced space and in another space at the Fifth order of stages gambled. Since 1788 it was strictly forbidden to play in the city, with the only exception of theaters in showtime.