Tourist Attraction in Pavia: Castello Visconteo di Pavia
The Visconteo castle of Pavia was built in 1360 by Galeazzo II Visconti. The Visconti also wanted to draw a large hunting park, which originally extended for about ten kilometers, to the Certosa of Pavia; Today part of the territory of the park is still present, but no longer connected to the castle, and called Parco della Vernavola. The construction of a fortified "citadel" to the west of the new building, adjacent to S. Pietro in Ciel d'Oro, allowed to develop the residential rather than the military: in fact, more than a fortress, the Castle of Pavia Was above all the splendid seat of a refined court, as it is still possible to perceive by the large exteriors, from the loggia of the courtyard and from the frescoes of the inner halls, reflecting the taste of the international Gothic. In the second half of the 14th and 15th centuries the manor was an important center for artistic production. Of particular beauty is the decoration with Viscontees on the starry sky of the "Blue Room", the figures of the dead Christ and the Saints in the original chapel on the ground floor, the motifs on upholstery and the mulberry images on the background of roses. Theater of the famous battle that fought in the Park in 1525, mutilated on the north side by the French artillery in 1527 during the sack of the city and later became a barracks, the Castle of Pavia was bought by the Commune, restored in the VENTI and THURSDAY OF THE FIFTH CENTURY And, since the Second World War, has become the seat of the Civic Museums and hosts the Malaspina Pinacoteca Civic. In the past few years, several exhibitions are organized inside the castle and, during the summer, concerts are held in the court. Since the Second World War, the castle also houses the civic museums of Pavia. These exhibition spaces are divided according to the historical period related to the exhibits exhibited. The museums hosted in the castle are the "archaeological museum and the Longobard Hall", the "Romanesque and Renaissance Museum", the "Museum of the 600 of the 700", the "painting of the eighteenth century", the "Risorgimento Museum" and the " Museum of modern art and plasterboard ". In particular, the Risorgimento Museum was founded in 1885 thanks mainly to private donations. The exhibitions of this museum include objects of various nature, documents, books and photographs. The dating of the memorabilia starts from the Lombard-Venetian Kingdom to the First World War with particular attention to land-related artefacts. There is also a section dedicated to Giuseppe Garibaldi.