The church of Saint Francis of Assisi is a Catholic church of Mercatello sul Metauro. The sacristy houses the Museum of Saint Francis. The church of San Francesco was built by the Franciscans alongside the convent from 1235. It preserves the most simple forms of transition from Romanesque to Gothic, partially ingenious from the additions of the first fifteenth century. The portal has a 15th century fresco (Madonna and Child and the Franciscan and Catherine saints) in the lunette. the interior is at a nave with a rooftop roof and a quadrilateral apse, adorned with a late-Gothic triumphal arc. In the windows, the windows of F. Mossmeyer (1912), which was inspired by the original only remained (now in the adjacent museum), where it is the oldest representation on glass of St. Francis. In the entrance wall, entering right, two fragments of sculptured sandstone: an arch of 1385, from the funeral memory of Umbrelli (or Brelli?) Who was in the cloister and, below, the Redeemer and an angel of Gothic art of 1300, coming from the convent of Santa Chiara. On the other side of the wall is the Gothic sepulchral monument of Bartolomeo Brancaleoni, lord of Mercatello (circa 1425); the sarcophagus adorned with figures (Pietà) and topped by canopy has been moved here by the apse. In the right wall of the nave: in the niche, Madonna with Child, St. Catherine and Saint Ludovico, and high Eternal Father between angels and seraphim, fresco of Umbrian school of the fifteenth century. Following frescoes dating from the fourteenth to sixteenth century, another fresco, still in the niche, follows with the Madonna on the throne and the Child standing on the knees and sides of St. Anthony Abbot and Saint Sebastian, local and back-school work to the first. Before the side door fresco detached from the rural church of San Martino, Crucifixion and holy unidentifiable (XV century), master of Mercatello. Presbytery and apse: the travertine arch at the entrance to the apse was added about in 1425, together with the tomb Brancaleoni; on the capitals, St. Francis and St. Bonaventure, Carrara marble statues; in the gable, the Brancaleoni coat of arms. At the sides of the bow: stained glass depicting the two holy towns (Santa Veronica and Beata Margherita); in front of it, sand the sandstone with a fine bill. In the window: St. Francis, St. Anthony of Padua, Nativity, Crucifixion, Stigmata of St. Francis. On the beam: Crocifisso painted on the table, by Giovanni da Rimini, signed and dated 1309; in the lobby, Christ Judge, Madonna and Saint John the Evangelist. Above the altar, a praiseworthy polyptych attributed to John Baronzio (circa 1345): in the center, Madonna with Child; on the sides Santa Caterina, Saint Paul, St. Ludwig, Saint Peter, St. John, St. Francis, Saint Michael, Santa Chiara. The frescoes of the vault, attributed to Girolamo Genga depict the four evangelists, XV century. The door to the right introduces the museum. Left wall: Santa Chiara, a fragment of frescoes that cover the whole church in the 14th century; other frescoes detached from the church of San Martino (XV century) attributed to the Master of Sant'Arduino and depicting Madonna and Child and the saints Martino, Floriano and Antonio abate; within niche, fresco of the XVII century with landscapes and rustic hut (Baptism of Jesus, Crib). On the right side of the church is the square of San Francesco, an ancient cloister of the convent, which overlooks the Capitolo's hall, with two Gothic mulberries, and the San Francesco Museum.