Tourist Attraction in Copenhagen: Vor Frelsers Kirke
The Church of Our Redeemer, is a large baroque church located in Christianshavn area in Copenhagen. The church is particularly famous for its spire, characterized by its exterior by a spiral staircase leading to the top of the bell tower, from which you can enjoy a panoramic view of the center of Copenhagen. Equally famous is the bell of this bell tower, renowned for being the largest in northern Europe. When Christian IV designed the artificial island of Christianshavn in 1617, he had thought of it as a city of independent merchants inspired by Dutch cities, and for this reason a church was absolutely necessary. Initially, in 1639, a provisional church was inaugurated; the works of the present Church of our Redeemer began only in 1682, under the architect's design Lambert van Haven. The church was then inaugurated 14 years later, in 1695, leaving the altar and temporary spire. The altar was completed in 1732, while the work of the spire was suspended until 1747 when Frederik V decided to assign the project to the architect Lauritz de Thurah. Soon the new architect abandoned the orignal design of Lambert van Haven in favor of his own project approved by the king in 1749. In three years the spire, about 90 meters, was completed and was inaugurated August 28, 1752 a solemn ceremony during which the king climbed to the top of the tower. Lambert van Haven chose a Dutch, solemn and prosperous baroque style, characterized by the use of red bricks on a massive granite base and sandstone moldings under the roof. The plan of the church forms a Greek equilateral cross with corner chapels. The façade is segmented by sandstone pillars that continue throughout the building's height. The main entrance is in the western pediment, under the tower and has a sandstone portal. All entrances are raised four steps from the street level. On each side of the tower, there is a gate at the road leading to the church's two crypts. The roof is vaulted and covered with black ceramic tiles. The church conserves a valuable monumental organ to more than 4000 canes, built by Botzen Brothers between 1698 and 1700.