The Turku Cathedral is the Lutheran Evangelical cathedral in Turku, Finland, and is the seat of the Archdiocese of Turku. At the end of the 13th century a stone church was built on the site of a former wooden church. The new church was consecrated to the cathedral of the Blessed Virgin Mary and Sant'Enrico, the first bishop of Finland. The building was smaller than the present and its western border was at the pulpit while the vault was much lower than the current one. The building will then be expanded throughout the Middle Ages. In the 14th century a new chorus was built and the pillars of the octagonal Gothic style of the present choir were made. At this stage, the altar was facing the eastern pillars of the nave. In the fifteenth century are added on the north and south sides of the nave of the side chapels dedicated to various saints. In the second half of the century the vault is reinforced and reaches a height of 24 meters. At the beginning of the modern cathedral era it had acquired its present shape. The only significant change will be the bell tower, rebuilt several times as a result of fires, as in 1827 when the fire destroyed the interior of the tower and the nave. The current tower was rebuilt after the great fire, rises 101 meters above sea level and has become the symbol of the city in time. Inside, the tall altarpiece depicting the Transfiguration of Christ was painted in 1836 by Fredrik Westin. The other altarpiece, placed behind the altar and the pulpit, were built in 1830 by Carl Ludvig Engel. The walls and ceiling are decorated with Robert Wilhelm Ekman's romantic style frescoes. These frescoes tell of Jesus' life and of two important events in the Finnish Church: the baptism of the first Christians by Bishop Henry to the Kupittaa source and the presentation by Michele Agricola of the first Finnish translation of the New Testament to King Gustavo I of Sweden. The Cathedral has three organs. The main body was produced by Veikko Virtanen Oy Espoo in 1980.