Tourist Attraction in Rieti: Museo Diocesano di Rieti
The Diocesan Museum of Churches of Rieti is a museum path that unfolds between the cathedral and those of the Bishop's Palace, where sacred works and liturgical objects owned by the diocese of Rieti are exhibited. Bonaventura Quintarelli, bishop of Rieti from 1895 to death in 1915, collected in a corridor of the Bishop's Palace a collection of liturgical objects and works of art, unincorporated in abandoned rural churches and former convents of the diocese or purchased from private collections, Who at his death was donated to the Civic Museum of Rieti. The Cathedral Treasury Museum was inaugurated in 1974 by the Bishop of Rieti Dino Trabalzini; There were exposed liturgical furnishings and objects of the cathedral and works from abandoned churches in the diocese. The exhibition, in the baptistery of San Giovanni in Fonte, was curated by Luisa Mortari, an expert in the history of local art that in 1961 had cataloged and reordered the collection of the Civic Museum. By the wish of Delio Lucarelli, bishop of Rieti from 1997 to 2015, the museum was reorganized and expanded. In December 2004, the ambulatory that separated the two factory bodies of the cathedral and the palace of the popes (where they found placards and epigraphs) and the environments of the sacraments of the Venerable Stigmatic Society of Saint Francis, adjacent to the Cathedral crypt; In 2005 the Hall of the Papal Palace Audiences (where the diocesan Picture Gallery was set up) was added. The exhibition site of the diocesan museum is currently developing in different spaces, linked together by the crossing of the cathedral and the papal palace. Entering the cathedral and going down to the lower basilica, you will reach the sacraments of the Venerable Stigmata Society of Saint Francis where they are exposed Vestments and liturgical objects. The environment that houses the lapidary is immediately adjacent to the sacristy and is covered by cruise lines. Crossing a vestibule you arrive at the Bishop's Palace and climb to the first floor, where in the hearing room is the pinacoteca.