Tourist Attraction in Rieti: Museo Civico di Rieti
The Civic Museum of Rieti is the main museum of the city of Rieti. The original nucleus of the museum began to form in the late Renaissance, when a series of graves were gathered under the arcades of the Palazzo Comunale. With the expropriation of the property of the ecclesiastical bodies provided by the Royal Decree of April 21, 1862, the town hall came into possession of a collection of paintings, sculptures and jewelery that went to add to the epigraphic material. From 1865 this material was arranged and exhibited in the former convent of the church of St. Augustine. In 1909 the collection was moved to the second floor of the Palazzo Comunale (on the occasion of the interventions by Cesare Bazzani in repair to the earthquake of 1898) and reorganized with the patronage of the supervisor at Umbria tunnels Umberto Gnoli and restorer reatino Giuseppe Colarieti Tosti. Released by Rieti, Crucifixion and Strage of Innocents, a fresco torn from the church of San Domenico and back on canvas (1441) During the twentieth century the museum was enriched thanks to numerous donations, including the archaeological collection of Canon Vincenzo Boschi purchased by Commune of Rieti at his death in 1912; About a hundred works by Antonino Calcagnadoro donated by heirs to his death in 1935; The collection of Francesco Palmegiani donated in 1952; A collection of paintings and of his writings donated by Angelo Sacchetti Sassetti and his nephew Giorgio Djichkariani in 1958. In the 1960s the Superintendence at the Lazio galleries restored and printed the entire material. In the nineties, a reorganization led to the distribution of works in two sections, the Historical Artistic (remaining in the Municipal Palace) and the Archaeological Museum, which was transferred to the 13th century monastery of Santa Lucia and inaugurated in 2001. The archaeological section was expanded in 2007, Opening of dell'Ala dei Sabini. The museum consists of two sections: the Historical Artistic (located in the Municipal Palace) and the Archaeological Museum (located in the former monastery of Santa Lucia). The Historic-Artistic section is arranged in nine halls, plus a hallway, placed on the second floor of the Communal Palace of Rieti (in Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II). It houses works of art relating to a period from the Middle Ages to the present. The Archaeological section is located on the ground floor of the 13th century monastery of Santa Lucia (Via Sant'Anna 4). The section consists of finds from the city and from Sabina, dating from a prehistoric period to the Middle Ages (from the 12th century BC to the 13th century BC. Among the most interesting finds there is a hut from a necropolis of Campo Early Iron Age, a Roman-era dedication to Hercules, an inscription to Agrippa, and an Augustan-age relief from Trebula Mutuesca depicting a hunting scene.