Tourist Attraction in Rieti: Basilica di Sant'Agostino
The Basilica of Sant'Agostino is one of the most important churches in Rieti. It has been declared a national monument since 1902 and a minor basilica since 2010. It is located on Piazza Mazzini, not far from the railway station and almost opposite Palazzo Ricci. The church was built ex-novo in the middle of the 13th century (if it has been reported since 1252) by the Augustinians, on a land that formerly belonged to the Hermit Order. In that period, in which Rieti enjoyed economic prosperity, and the Pope frequently made his seat in the Bishop's Palace, the churches of other begging orders were also erected in the city: San Francesco and San Domenico. By decree of June 17, 2010, the Congregation for Divine Worship and the discipline of the sacraments gave the church the dignity of a minor basilica. The main entrance is made up of a single portal, which presents a strombot made of three columns, above which there are five round arches that delimit a lunette with a fresco of the mid 14th century, in which they are depicted the Virgin in majesty and saints of the Augustinian order; The bows are overlaid by a gable, in which a bas-relief depicting Agnus Dei is inscribed. Immediately above it opens the original rose window, inserted in 1901 instead of a window that had been opened in the 18th century. The interior, with a single nave, is surmounted by wooden trusses and ends in three apses on which a trifora window and two mulch windows are opened. The windows of the apse are of modern design (XX century). The walls were frescoed by anonymous authors over the centuries between the fourteenth and sixteenth centuries; However, during the eighteenth century, the side altars were made to incorporate the dictates of the Council of Trent, and the frescoes were covered by squeaking and tamponatura. Recent restoration works have partially brought them to light. The convent was the first seat of the Civic Museum of Rieti and of the Paroniana Municipal Library, born in 1865 with the acquisition of the property of ecclesiastical bodies as prescribed by the Royal Decree of 21 April 1862. The library remained there until the first half of the twentieth century when Moved first to the Bishop's Palace, then in 1949 to the Municipal Palace and in 1998 in the former monastery of Santa Lucia; The museum was transferred to the Palazzo Comunale in 1909. Today it is home to the Sacchetti Sassetti school and the cloister, dating back to 1605, is often used for exhibitions and exhibitions.