Tourist Attraction in Rieti: La Fontana dei Delfini
Piazza Vittorio Emanuele is the main square in Rieti. The square is located at the highest and most central point of the city. The square has a rectangular shape and communicates to the southwest with Piazza Cesare Battisti, where the Renaissance Palazzo Vincentini (seat of the prefecture) and the Romanesque Cathedral of Santa Maria are located. At its center is the Baroque Fountain of the Dolphins (17th century, renovated in the mid-nineteenth century). The square overlooks: on the north side, the Palazzo Comunale (XIII century, with a neoclassical façade and porch made in the 18th century by Filippo Brioni), alongside the rationalistic travertine tower (1940), and Palazzo Dosi (the result of re-elaboration of preexisting in the XVII-XIX centuries), late Baroque / neoclassical style; on the south side Palazzo Blasetti (16th century); On the east side the Gengarelli coffee shop on the ground floor of Palazzo Capelletti (XVIII century); on the west side the twentieth-century coffee and hotel Four Seasons. The square rests on the rocky boulder of travertine where the oldest nucleus of the city rises. Here was the hole in the Roman Reate, where there seems to be a temple dedicated to Rea (a goddess that seems to have named the city) and a temple devoted to the goddess sabinaPater Reatinus. In the hole there were several statues, religious or celebratory: from here the place of the statue (statue of the statue). Even in modern times there was a statue of Rea belonging to the Roman temple, known as Cibocchj or Mammacibocco, as belonging to the Cibocchi family, which was inside the church of San Giovanni (church that appears to be on the west side of the square from the eleventh century and that for this very reason was called "St. John in Statue"); the statue was lost in the seventeenth century. In 1763, the architect Amati introduced a project to expand the square, which included the demolition of the church of San Giovanni and its reconstruction in a more retracted position, a project which was implemented in 1774. In 1865 the street plan of the whole square was lowered and the dolphin fountain, which until then was aligned with Via Roma, was moved more eastward to find itself in the center of the enlarged square. To this end in 1929 the church of St. John in statue was demolished, along with the canonical to his left. That same year the funds destined for the construction of the hotel were basically reduced, imposing a radical revision of the project with the removal of the porch that was planned on the perimeter of the building. The work started in 1931 and the hotel, which in the meantime took the name of Four Seasons, opened in 1933; Was initially run by singer Lina Cavalieri and stayed there several times by Mussolini himself. "In today's demolition of the Church of St John in the Statue, a few perimeter walls of the building, formed by large parallelepiped blocks, have been found, about four meters deep, which are externally lowered towards Cintia Street, crowned from a big, rough decorative molding. These walls form two of the exterior walls of a building and there is also a dividing wall. Continuing into the excavation, an exterior edge of reshaped, molded, of the construction itself, was found at Piazza Cesare Battisti.