Tourist Attraction in Rome: Fontana della Barcaccia
The Barcaccia fountain is a fountain in Rome, located in Piazza di Spagna, at the foot of the staircase of Trinità dei Monti. Giovanni Baglione "[Pietro Bernini] at the square of the Trinità de 'Monti, with a nice capriccio, made the source in the form of Boat with the Pope's Firms." The realization in 1610 of the new aqueduct of Acqua Paola had not Secondly, the two built a few years earlier (Virgin Water in 1570 and Happy Water in 1587), and the possibility to erect other fountains on their branches that were being built for a wider water distribution throughout the city. Indeed already in 1570 a document of the Congregation above the sources had identified "the spot of the Aqueduct under the Trinity" as a site for the construction of a fountain fed by the new aqueduct of the Virgin Water, but the low pressure had forced it to give up the project , and instead of the fountain was constructed, as a reservoir, a cistern, now disappeared, which remains trace in the local toponymy (alley Bottino, in addition to the more famous Via dei Condotti). By now reinforced the aqueduct, in 1626 Pope Urban VIII commissioned Pietro Bernini, who was already working on the expansion of the aqueduct himself, to make a fountain in the square below the church of the Trinity of the Mountains, which then, in the absence of the stairway, stood on the edge of a scarp. The work was completed in 1629, and Bernini was also aided by his son Gian Lorenzo, who probably completed it at the death of his father. At the center of the boat, a short railing holds a small oblong tank, lower end of the stern and bow, from which a plume of water emerges, filling the tub, falls inside the boat to trace then, from the lower side edges and flared in the basin below. The water sprouts from six more points (three aft and three in the bow): two sun-sculpted human faces scattering water to so many bowls inside the boat, and four circular holes (two per side) facing out, similar to cannon mouths. In addition to the two solos, they complement the decorations of two pontifical coats, with the tiara and the bees a heraldic symbol of the Pontiff family (the Barberini), at the outer ends of the boat, between the two cannons. It was the first time that a fountain was entirely conceived as a sculptural work, moving away from the canons of the classic geometric tanks. According to a highly acclaimed popular version, its particular form could have been inspired by the presence on the square of a dry boat, brought to the full by the Tevere of 1598 (in which the pope might have commissioned the work), but the hypothesis that this place was used as a small naumachia was also advanced. In both cases, the name "barcaccia" recalls an old boat near the sinking. Most likely, it was called a "boat" that kind of boat that, in ancient Rome, was used for river transport of wine barrels, and that, much like the Bernini opera, had its very low sides to facilitate the " boarding and landing of the barrels themselves.