Tourist Attraction in Copenhagen: Sankt Ansgars Kirke
The cathedral of Sant'Ansgario is the Catholic cathedral in Copenhagen, Denmark, and the seat of the diocese of Copenhagen. The church, which was inaugurated on November 1, 1842, was designed by architect Gustav Friederich Hetsch, a mixture of Romanesque and Classical style and as a reference to the model of St. Ludovico's church in Munich. At the time the Roman Catholic faith was still officially banned in Denmark and the church was built seven years before the revocation of the ban on a land owned by Austria already since 1774 and part of the Austrian embassy. In 1850 the building became autonomous by the embassy, as the prohibition for Catholic worship in the country ceased, but there was a ban on making bells in Catholic churches. Only in 1943 was added a tower and in 1949 three bells. The tower was built on the south side by the architect Gunnar Glahn in a modernist style. The church was restored in the years 1988-1992 in collaboration with the National Museum under the direction of the professor, architect Wilhelm Wohlert.