The cathedral of Our Lady, is the main Lutheran worship site in Copenhagen, the parent church of the diocese of Copenhagen. It is located near the University of the city and was inaugurated in 1829, designed by architect Christian Frederik Hansen in neoclassical style and adorned with Bertel Thorvaldsen's sculptures. The church, built together with the Collegiate Church of St. Mary, began in 1187 under the bishop Absalon, near the new town of Havn, later in Copenhagen. Bishop Absalon (1128-1201) was bishop of Roskilde, and spent the rest of his life defending Denmark from attacks and building many churches, monasteries, and founded the city of Copenhagen as a Baltic port. He was appointed Archbishop of Lund in 1178 and accepted only under excommunication threat. The church was built in Roman style. Between 1445 and 1648 it was used for the actual ceremonies, including the wedding of King Christopher III and Queen Dorotea in 1445, and the coronation of King Frederick III and Queen Sofia Amelia in 1648. At the beginning of 1479, in a part of the church, a school was founded which subsequently became the University of Copenhagen. The professor came from Cologne, Germany, and proposed an international teaching body that opened Denmark to the great ideas and philosophies of the moment. The university challenged the growth of the Protestant movement, but finally closed, then reopened in 1537 as a Lutheran study center. Protestant reform brought radical changes to the cathedral. The citizens of Copenhagen had elected Luther, but Catholic officials at the collegiate church tried to keep the church as a center of Catholic resistance to the change of Copenhagen. The 17 richly golden altars have been stripped of anything valuable and smashed. Dresses, altar and equipment were stripped of jewels and gold, relics were destroyed. The medieval cathedral, along with about a third of the rest of the city, burned in a four-day fire in October 1728. Our Lady was completely destroyed. In addition, all the numerous chapels and the eighty epigraphs, some of the most eminent noblemen and rich parishioners of Our Lady have been destroyed. The church was reconstructed in 1738 with red bricks and with a simple long nave and with rounded chorus at the end, essentially on the same floor as the medieval church. The interior was a combination of Gothic and Baroque style of the time. A row of side aisles and chapels chapels with five aisles gave the appearance of a church that impressed all those who set foot on us, including King Christian VI who oversaw the construction of the project with impatience. Friedrich Ehbisch has carved a new altar in the best baroque tradition. The tower, built on the old medieval tower, was a controversial rethinking. Neoclassical style has not included towers. But the citizens asked for and got a molded tower on the old medieval tower. The tower is 60 meters high and contains four bells. The church was designated the national cathedral of Denmark only in 1924. Important renovations were organized by Professor Vilhelm Wohlert in 1977-79, in which several additions had been removed that had accumulated inside the church over the years. A new large cane organ was completed in 1995, with a second in the choir added in 2002. The crypt has been transformed into a museum that contains construction models over the centuries. Architect Hansen was inspired by the conception of the building to Roman architecture and to Andrea Palladio; the great nave recalls Etienne-Louis Boullée's projects for a public library.