Tourist Attraction in Budapest: Gellérthegyi-barlang
The Gellért Hill Cave (Hungarian: Gellérthegyi-barlang) is a Catholic worship site located on the hill of Gellért, in Budapest, Hungary. The church was built in 1926 by Kálmán Lux for the order of the monks of the Order of St. Paul the first hermit. In 1934, 150 years after the dissolution of the Order, fifteen monks returned from exile to Poland settled inside the church for about twenty years, until they were accused of treason by the Communist regime, suspending their activities and wallowing the entrance to the church. The church was reopened on 27 August 1989. On the same day the pope blessed the new granite altar. In the church, to the left of the entrance, there is a copy of the Black Virgin and a Polish Eagle painting; there is also a painting depicting Saint Massimiliano Kolbe, a Polish Franciscan who died to help his fellow prisoners in Auschwitz. In the church you can also admire a commemorative plaque engraved with the name of the concentration camps where hundreds of thousands of people were recruited in World War II, together with the cities and schools that gave shelter to Polish refugees in those same years. At the entrance of the church there is also a statue of Saint Stephen.