Tourist Attraction in Barletta: Colosso di Barletta
The Barletta Colossus, better known locally as Heraclius is a gigantic bronze statue, 4.50 meters high, dating back to the fifth century. Located at the left side of the Basilica of the Holy Sepulcher of Barletta, the work of Byzantine bill probably depicts the Emperor Theodosius II and was probably erected by Valentinian III in Ravenna in 439. Tradition, narrated by the writings of a Jesuit of the seventeenth century, wants the Colosso, forged by this Polifobo, to be removed from the Venetians during the Constantinople's sack of 1204, and abandoned during the return trip on the beach of Barletta because of the cruise made by a storm and the heavy load. However, chemical analyzes in the last restorations did not reveal signs of any statue's presence in the sea. Colosso's only known and documented news dates back to 1309, when the Dominicans of Manfredonia asked for and obtained by Charles II of Anjou permission to remove and merge the statues of the statue at that time at Barletta's customs to make them Of the bells for their church. In fact recent restorations have attested that at least the head and bust of the statue are original, while the legs are rear. He remained at the port of Barletta until 1491 when, on Barletta's citizens' commission, he reworked his legs and arms from the sculptor Fabio Alfano of Naples in a very different form from the original style, was placed in his present position under the People's Seat , A sixth-century marble loggia of the Renaissance built on the eastern wall of the Basilica of the Holy Sepulcher and abolished in 1925. The difficult identification has recently obtained a possible solution with the hypothesis that the emperor depicted would be Theodosius II, while the client would Was his cousin and generous Valentinian III, who had with the Emperor of the East a debt of gratitude for being placed on the throne of the West by Theodosius in opposition to the usurper John. An important clue is the presence on the diadem of the statue of a jewel of glass art, attributable to Elia Eudossia, daughter of a general goto and mother of Theodosius II. The representation of a thirty-thirty-year-old man is compatible with the age of Theodosius at the time of Valentinian's marriage with Licinia Eudossia, daughter of Theodosius. In 439, in fact, Theodosius celebrated the thirtieth anniversary of the reign, and in August of that same year Licinia gave birth to a daughter and was raised to the rank of Augusta: one of these two events would have been the right occasion to erect a statue Father of the Emperor, who had an actual superiority over the generous and fellow of the West.