Tourist Attraction in Barletta: Basilica di San Domenico
The basilica of San Domenico is one of the main churches in Barletta. The history of the basilica was very troubled. In 1238 the Dominican father of Apulia settled there, and in 1528 it was razed to the ground by the French. By the middle of the sixteenth century the old factory was restored and the convent was begun. The facade has a single entrance, through the portal enclosed by two large slopes and followed by two niches. The interior replicates the subdivision into three aisles, with a central cover with wooden trusses. Spacious and luminous, the basilica is composed in a rhythm of linear archons leading to the marble altar major, donated by Luigi Della Marra in 1701, where a painting (XVII sec.) Consists of five panels depicting the glory of St. Dominic. Other canvases complement the decor of the church: Bonito's San Vincenzo Ferrer's Sermon and the Madonna del Rosario with Saint Dominic. The convent of the Basilica of San Domenico has played an important role in the city of Barletta. In addition to helping the needy, they housed the Pinacoteca De Nittis before being transferred to Barletta Castle and finally to the Marra Palace.