Tourist Attraction in Trani: Sinagoga Museo Sant'Anna
The Scola Grande Synagogue is located on what was the main street of the ancient Jewish Quarter. It was built in 1246-47, in the most splendid period of the Jewish community that, already around 1160, had 200 fires, as well as on the diary of the rich merchant Benjamin from Tudela, who came here to Trani during his long journey . In the neighborhood where the Jews had settled, there were four synagogues, two of which were already destroyed in 1700. The synagogue of Scola Grande is with the synagogue Scolanova one of the two surviving buildings. Within the structure some finds of Jewish town history were found. In the crypt are kept some tomb burials from the cemeteries of the Jewish community of the city. In the upper area, in addition to the explanatory teaching panels of the history of the Jewish presence in Trani and in the Mezzogiorno until the XIII and XV centuries and the history of this synagogue-church, there are copies of documents and two finds of exceptional historic value: 'Ancient Mezuzah dating from the 12th to 13th centuries. and parchment fragments of an ancient Bible in the Hebrew of the fourteenth century. The restoration project, conceived in 1992, was completed in December 2009 with the opening of the museum. Accurate restoration work has been aimed at restoring the ancient synagogical structure, bringing to light the level of original treadmill, some cisterns and a stone seat base, without however dimming the elements added during the following period. The original structure of the synagogue still houses the perimeter walls, an epigraph found inside, which is the foundation of the 5007 since the foundation of the world, the precious dome intersected in the octagonal drum (remembered in the above epigraph as "high and majestic ") and, on the facade, above the secondary door, a small cymbals, likely crowning of the Haon-codesh that could be inside. In fact, an ancient eighteenth-century wooden altar, the medieval apse of the church, the seventeenth-century decorations and, on the outside, the bell tower were preserved. The work has therefore recovered the temple stratigraphy, within which the finds of Jewish town history of the 13th and 15th centuries are now appropriately accommodated. The synagogue-museum Sant'Anna is the only museum of Jewish history present throughout the South of Italy.