Tourist Attraction in Glasgow: Cattedrale di San Mungo
St. Mungo Cathedral is today an active Christian congregation of the Church of Scotland in Glasgow. The Cathedral title is honorary and historical, dating back to the period before the Scottish Reformation and to its former status as Roman Catholic Church mother of the Archdiocese of Glasgow and then the chair of the archbishop of Glasgow. The present congregation is part of the Glasgow Presbytery of the Church of Scotland. Glasgow Cathedral is located north of High Street and east of Cathedral Street, next to the Royal Infirmary of Glasgow. The history of the Cathedral is linked to that of the city which is presumably located where the patron saint of Glasgow, Saint Mungo, built his church. The Tomb of the Saint is in the Lower Crypt. The novel by Walter Scott Rob Roy tells of the Church. Built before the Reformation, from the late twelfth century onward, serving as the Bishop's seat and later the archbishop of Glasgow, the Edificio is a superb example of Scottish Gothic architecture. It is also one of the few medieval Scottish churches (and the only medieval Cathedral on Scottish Mainland) to survive the Reform without having its roof overcrowded. James IV ratified the Perpetual peace treaty with England at the Altar Major on December 10, 1502. The Cathedral and the nearby Castle played a role in the battles of Glasgow in 1544 and 1560. Twenty Years after the Reformation, April 22, 1581, James VI granted the income of a number of Lands of the City of Glasgow for the maintenance of the Church. He followed the traces of the Property of these Lands to the money left by Archbishop Gavin Dunbar as an inheritance for the repair of the Cathedral. The commune agreed on February 27, 1583 to take responsibility for the repair of the Church, while the Registers were not obliged to do so. The Church survives because of this resolution. Inside, the jetty is also a very rare survival element in the Scottish churches. Technically, the building is no longer a cathedral, since it has not been the seat of a bishop since 1690. However, like many other pre-Reformation cathedrals in Scotland, it is still an active Christian worship site hosting a congregation of the Church of Scotland. The current Minister, since 15 February 2007, is the Rev. Laurence A. Whitley, PhD, formerly Minister of Old Montrose and Parish Church of Sant'Andrea. The previous Minister was the Very Rev. William Morris, who was State Minister since 1967 until his retirement in November 2005. The Edifice is owned by the Crown, is run by Historic Scotland, and is a popular destination for tourists.