Tourist Attraction in Canterbury: Abbey of Saint Augustine
The Abbey of Saint Augustine is a Benedictine abbey located in Canterbury, Kent, United Kingdom. It houses the remains of Saint Augustine of Canterbury. In the year 597, Augustine arrived in England, sent here by Pope Gregory I, in what is now called "awakening mission". Kent's king at that time was Ethelbert, who married a Christian, Bertha. Regardless of being influenced by his wife, he was allowed to found a monastery just outside the Canterbury Wall. Three Anglo-Saxon churches are still standing, and are devoted respectively to Saint Pancratius, Peter and Paul, and finally to Mary. The Saxon period is well shown in the church of San Pancrazio, while the other two have been reconstructed by the Normans by merging them into one structure. One of the main goals of the abbey was to serve as a burial ground for the kings of Kent and the archbishop of Canterbury. In 978 a newer building was dedicated to Archbishop Dunstan to Saints Peter, Paul and Augustine. From 1100 all the remains of the original Anglo-Saxon buildings disappeared under an immense Romanesque building, to which a room was added in 1154 to serve alms to the poor. A part was rebuilt in 1168 after a fire, the rest of the twelfth century structure came unchanged until the abbey was built. After 1250 the abbey was again undergoing modernization work. The cloister, lavacro and kitchen were completely rebuilt and the new abate's residence was added. A new salon was also created. A new merlot door was built in 1309 completing the inner court. On the north side, monks were able to take further lands, which provided more space for an external court with a series of cells, ovens and in 1320 a new vineyard surrounded by walls. The east side also expanded by creating a series of loggias along the fortified garden. An earthquake in 1382 forced further work on the buildings, and in 1390 a fortified structure was erected that is still near the door. The last piece was a Lady Chapel, east of the church. In 1500, the abbey occupied a very large land, and its library contained over 2000 volumes, a huge number for that period. Many of them were written in the abbey's desk center. In 1535 Henry VIII closed all the monasteries surprised to collect less than once a year. It is now a heritage of humanity, and the ruins of this important monastic building built by St. Augustine are protected by the English Heritage. The present ruins cover much of the cathedral, and in fact, in its best days, the church competed for greatness with Canterbury Cathedral. The holy venerated is Catholic and his official worship is governed by the Catholic Church.