The Drottningholm Palace (Swedish: Drottningholms slott) is the residence of the Swedish royal family, and in 1991 it was included with the park in the UNESCO World Heritage List. Its construction began in 1662 under the direction of architect Nicodemus Tessin the Elder and the building was completed by his son Nicodemus Tessin the Younger. It is clearly inspired by the Versailles castle. In the garden, created in 1777, there are the Chinese pavilion and the Drottningholm theater which still has the complete furnishings and original machinery of the eighteenth century, and in which systematically opera works are performed. The name "Drottningholm" Queen Island "comes from the original Renaissance style building designed by Willem Boy, a stone palace built by John III of Sweden in 1580 for his Queen Caterina Jagellona. This palace was preceded by a royal villa called Torvesund. The palace was given as a gift to the hereditary princess and then Queen of Sweden Luisa Ulrica of Prussia in 1744 when he married Adolfo Federico of Sweden, who became king of Sweden in 1751. In 1777 Luisa sold Drottningholm to the Swedish state. While owned by King Gustavo III of Sweden, son of Luisa, he lived in the palace with his court. Under the reign of Gustavo III, the palace lived its greatest days and was used as a summer residence, where a ceremonial court life was represented. The courts of Gustavo IV Adolfo of Sweden, who ruled from 1792 to 1809, and Charles XIII of Sweden, who ruled from 1809 to 1818, used the palace very sporadically. In 1797 Federica of Baden was celebrated here with greats. The castle and its lands have seen many renovations, modifications and additions in the last 400 years. The church of the castle. The church was designed and erected by Nicodemus Tessin the Elder. It was completed by his son in May 1746. It is still used today by people in the Lovön parish, who worship in the church on the last Sunday of each month. Inside the castle church is still in use a Cahman organ of 1730. Another noteworthy element is the traditional tapestry of the church made by Gustaf V of Sweden. The Drottningholm Castle Theater is the opera house located in the palace. It is still in use, and its summer opera festivals are very popular. Sometimes the Swedish Royal Opera Company performs. The Chinese pavilion, located in the Drottningholm Castle park park, is a Chinese style Chinese pavilion built between 1763 and 1770. The oldest part of the gardens was created at the end of the 17th century under the direction of Hedwig Eleonora. Father and son Tessin led the project that created a baroque garden right outside the main building, flanked by thick trees. The many sculpted statues in this area were created by artist Adrian de Vries. The passages are located throughout this great part of the park. In this area you can see "views", clear lines of vision that are intentionally built to attract the eye to a particular vision. Most of the ancient marble statues throughout the garden have been bought by Gustav III from Italy. The purpose of statues is to surprise a visitor from their unexpected appearance in a green area, or as a focal point for a sight.