The Ethnographic Museum of Budapest is housed in a building designed by Alajos Hauszmann between 1893 and 1896, which was originally used as a Palace of Justice and then until 1945 as a Supreme Court. The palace style blends together. Renaissance, Baroque and Classical elements. The facade overlooks a large porch, overlooked by two towers, with a decorated pediment depicting the Roman divinity of justice on a three-horse carriage, by Karoly Senyei. On the large lobby of the main entrance opens a staircase; the ceilings are decorated by frescoes by Karoly Lotz. The palace first served as a museum in 1957 when it hosted the Hungarian National Gallery, then transferred to the royal palace. Since 1973 it has become the ethnographic museum. The museum collection was originally set up in 1872 in the ethnographic section of the Hungarian National Museum. Today it has more than 170,000 pieces, most of which are usually not exposed. The collection includes items from the Hungarian peasant culture from prehistory to the 20th century. A 1909 paper shows the settlements of the various Hungarian communities. The museum houses testimonies of such communities along with those of primitive communities in the Americas, Africa, Asia and Australia. Among the permanent exhibitions, there is that of traditional Hungarian culture and one that goes from primitive communities to civilization.