Tourist Attraction in Budapest: Belvárosi plébániatemplom
The parish church of the City Center of Budapest is a place of worship in the Pest district in the eastern part of the Hungarian capital. At the place where the present church rises, it was already in the 14th century a religious building, used as a mosque during Turkish occupation. Following the damage suffered in the fire of 1723, it was partially rebuilt in Baroque style by Gyorgy Pauer between 1725 and 1739. Inside, there are neo-classical elements of János Hild and works dating to the 20th century. Of the medieval church were only walls in the southern tower, as well as a fragment of wall in the lower section of the façade. The late baroque portal is dominated by a Trinité inlaid with gold. Inside the church are the Baroque and Gothic style, which represent the periods in which it was built. The nave, located on the western side of the church, shows a baroque design. The original altar, destroyed in World War II, was replaced in 1948 by the current one, by Karoly Antal and Pal C. Molnar. Significant inside the church are the neo-gothic inlaid wood pulpit, created in 1808 by Fulop Ungradt, and the Gothic chapel, with its perforated windows, which is accessed through an archway passage. Among the most ancient works in the building are the fragments of an Italian fresco from the 15th century, which depicts the crucifixion of Christ. He was moved from the cloister to the chorus, where he is currently. Pest's coat of arms, commissioned by a common Italian artist in 1507, adorns the pedestal of a tabernacle. One of the few remains of the Turkish occupation is a prayer niche (miḥrab), which indicates the direction of Mecca.