Tourist Attraction in Geneva: Monument international de la Réformation
The International Monument to the Reformation, also known as the Wall of Reformers, is a monument located within the Parc des Bastions, in the city of Geneva, Switzerland. This monument honors the main characters, events and documents of the Protestant Reformation, representing them as statues and bas-reliefs. The Wall is located in the territory of the University of Geneva, founded by Giovanni Calvino and was built to commemorate the fiftieth anniversary of the birth of Calvino and the three hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the foundation of the university. It is built on the old walls of Geneva and the location of the monument is intended to represent the fortifications and therefore the integral importance of the city of Geneva for the Protestant Reformation. Opened in 1909 was the culmination of a competition launched to transform that part of the park. The competition involved 71 other proposals from around the world. The winning project was proposed by four Swiss architects: Charles Dubois, Alphonse Laverrière Eugène Monod, and Jean Taillens (who also proposed another project, arriving third). Sculptures were created by two French sculptors Paul Landowski and Henri Bouchard. During the Protestant Reformation, Geneva was the center of Calvinism and its history and legacy from the 16th century were closely linked to that of Protestantism. Because of its close connection to that theology, the people on the wall were Calvinists. Nonetheless, other characters are also represented. At the center of the monument are the statues five meters high of the four major representatives of Calvinism: Guglielmo Farel (1489 - 1565) Giovanni Calvino (1509 - 1564) Theodore of Beza (1519 - 1605) John Knox (1513 - 1572) central statues are statues three meters high of: William of Orange, William the taciturn (1533 - 1584) Gaspard of Coligny (1519 - 1572) Federico Guglielmo I of Brandenburg (1620 - 1688) To the right are the tall statues three meters of: Roger Williams (1603 - 1684) Oliver Cromwell (1599 - 1658) István Bocskai (1557 - 1606)
Along the wall, on both sides of the central statues, there is the motto of both the Protestant Reformation and the City of Geneva: Post Tenebras Lux (After the Dark Light). The monogram of Christ is engraved on the pedestal of the statues.