Tourist Attraction in Bucharest: Biserica Stavropoleos
The Stavropoleos Church is the Orthodox church of the homonymous monastery, which stands in the center of Bucharest. It represents a masterpiece of Romanian architecture in Brâncoveanu style. The church and its monastery were erected in 1724 by the archaeologist Ioanichie Stratonikeas, originally from Epirus, then metropolitan in Stavropol in 1726 and expelled from Caria. From this moment the complex took the name of Stavropoleos. Ioanichie died on February 7, 1742 and was buried in the church. In 1897, architect Ion Mincu undertook a deep campaign for restoration, renovation and reconstruction of the complex. All the outbuildings of the monastery were demolished only the church was left. However, the latter suffered damage to earthquakes that threatened to drop the dome. The dome frescoes were restored at the beginning of the 20th century. Today, beyond the church, you can see a pretty cloister with polyglobate arches and a early 20th century building that welcomes a library, a conference room and a museum. The church has also miraculously escaped the destruction of Ceauşescu's era, and monastic life has kept and resumed its course. The church is a modest building that reflects the typical features of Romanian architecture: domed domed tower-domed, trilobated plant and porch on the façade. On the front opens the beautiful marble porch with five polychrome arcades supported by columns from the rich capitals resting on a fine travertine balustrade with vegetable and zoomorphic motifs. The arcade module continues, blind, across the entire outline of the building, above it runs a marble cornice with floral motifs that separate it from the top. The latter is decorated by a gouge frescoed with foliage and rhymed by medallions bearing the figures of Saints. It is accessed through a small nook, domed, separated by grooved marble columns. The interior is central with three round apses and central dome. All the surfaces are covered with original frescoes of the era of construction. The bottom apse is enclosed by a rich iconostasis, finally carved wood, showing antique icons on a golden background.