Tourist Attraction in Bucharest: Greek-Catholic Cathedral of St. Basil the Great
The cathedral of St. Basil the Great is the cathedral church of the eparchy of St. Basil the Great of Bucharest. It is located in the city of Bucharest, Romania. In 1909, Catholic Archbishop Raymund Netzhammer blessed the first stone of the church. After only seven months, the church, completed by architect Nicholas Ghica Budesti, was consecrated. The church was built at a distance of 30 meters from the road as the authorities had imposed as a condition for the construction of the church that the building was not erected on the street level but in the courtyard. Since 1940, the foundation year for the vicarage for Bucharest, the church was elevated to the cathedral. In 1948 the communist authorities gave the church to the Orthodox community. Immediately after the events of the end of December 1989, the Greco-Catholic Parish of Saint Basil Magno in Bucharest was reopened, asking for the restoration of the church. However, the state authorities did not recognize the rights of the Greek Catholic Church. Only on June 2, 2005 Patriarch Teoctist Arapasu of the Romanian Orthodox Church claimed his intention to return the Church of San Basilio to the legitimate owners, but the promise was only maintained on May 4, 2008, when the building returned to the church again Catholic Church with the establishment of the new Catholic Bishop of Vicar Bucharest, Mihai Fratila, and the building was elevated to the cathedral. On August 30, 2014, the church became the cathedral of the eparchy of St. Basil the Great of Bucharest.