Tourist Attraction in Timișoara: Cattedrale di San Giorgio
The cathedral of St. George is the cathedral church of the diocese of Timisoara. The construction of the cathedral began with the laying of the first stone on August 6, 1736. The original designed was designed by Viennese architect Joseph Emanuel Fischer von Erlach. The Cathedral was built in Austrian Baroque style and was dedicated to San Giorgio, the patron saint of the diocese. The painting at the main altar is the work of Michelangelo Unterberger, the director of the Vienna Academy of Fine Arts, in memory of the patron saint. The side altars are the work of Johann Nepomuk Schopf and date back to 1772.