Tourist Attraction in Timișoara: Sinagoga din Fabric
The Fabric synagogue in Timisoara is one of the greatest and beautiful Romanian synagogues, in a neo-classical style. Built between 1895 and 1899, it has been broadcasted since 2009 in management at Timisoara National Theater after long years of abandonment and degradation in the post-war period. At the end of the nineteenth century, the Jewish community in Timişoara needed a larger place of worship to cope with its demographic growth. The project was entrusted to the Hungarian architect Leopold Baumhorn, the author of many other synagogues. Collecting funds with donations from community members and a public lottery, the jobs were entrusted to entrepreneur Josef Kremmer. The synagogue was solemnly inaugurated on September 3, 1899, with a sermon of local rabbi leader dr. Jakab Singer, in the presence of the head of the community, Alex Kohn, and the mayor of Timisoara, Carol Telbisz. Leopold Baumhorn designed a neo-monumental monumental building with Byzantine, Neo-Gothic, Italian neo-Renaissance and Neo-Baroque elements, according to a fashion widespread in the architecture of the synagogues of the time. The Fabric Synagogue, with its colorful domes and towers, certainly came to the effect of being one of the most characteristic and original buildings of the city. It has a square plant with a central dome, connected to the outer walls from deep arches to the whole. The polychrome façade alternates decorations in white plaster with red brick walls. The high central high dome is built on an octagonal drum supported by four pillars. The interior, colorful with white, red, blue and gold and illuminated by wide windows, is divided into three aisles with the columns of the lateral aisles that support the matrons' stands. On the bottom wall is the golden arch overhanged, and there is also the organ built by the famous master Lipot. Wegenstein of Timisoara. The synagogue has two entrances: one for men through a vestibule and the second for women from the street, where access stairs lead directly to the matroneum. With the arrival of the Communist dictatorship, most Jews left the city after World War II to emigrate to Israel and other countries. In the second half of the 20th century, the remaining Jewish community was very active under the leadership of the chief rabbi dr. Ernest Neumann. Demographic decline continued in communist times. In 1985 the synagogue was closed and long years of abandonment and theft began. To curb the degradation in 2009, the synagogue was sold for 35 years at the National Theater in Timisoara for public performances in exchange for the commitment to maintain the site and the most urgent restoration work.