Tourist Attraction in Cluj-Napoca: Biserica Schimbarea la Fata
The Cathedral of the Transfiguration of the Lord is the cathedral church of the Cluj-Gherla Eparchy. It is located in the city of Cluj-Napoca. The church was built in Baroque style in the years 1775-1779 by the Order of the Conventual Minor Friars thanks to a donation from Empress Maria Teresa. Due to a tower construction error, the church collapsed on September 22, 1779. The tower and façade were re-erected three years later, under the direction of architect Johann Eberhard Blaumann. Pope Pius XI transferred the church to the Greek-Catholic community in 1924 to become the cathedral of the Cluj-Gherla epic after the transfer of the diocese seat from Gherla to Cluj. The adaptation of the interior spaces to the requirements of the Byzantine rite was made by Bishop Iuliu Hossu, with the addition of the iconostasis. The cathedral erection took place in 1930. In 1948, with the banishment of the Romanian-Greek Catholic Church, the building was transferred from the Communist authorities of the Romanian Orthodox Church. After the 1989 revolution, the Greek-Catholic community demanded the restitution of its property, including the building, without success. The refusal by the authorities of the Orthodox Church has been postponed to a process lasting eight years, ending with the return of the church to the Greco-Catholics.