Tourist Attraction in Belgrade: Crkva Svetog Marka
St. Mark's Church is an Orthodox Faith Church located in the center of Belgrade, near the Palace of Parliament, within the Tamajdan Park. The present church was built between 1939 and 1940 just north of the site where a pre-existing church was built, consecrated in 1835 and made of wood. The original church, adjacent to which there was a small cemetery, was no longer in 1870 and the divine liturgy was celebrated in a tent in the place where the church of St. Mark was built. The construction of the latter was initiated between the two world wars on the project of Serbian archbishop brothers Petar and Branko Krstic in 1939 and was soon interrupted in 1940 due to the outbreak of World War II. The temple, although still unfinished, was consecrated in 1948 by Serbian Patriarch Gavrilo Dozic and open to ordinary worship. However, although the structure was completed in 1948 with the narthex, the interior is still under construction and is devoid of interior dome and vault frescoes showing the rough brickwork. The exterior of the church is perfectly integrated with the Tamajdan park, within which it is located. The central body of the church, which clearly shows the greek interior of the interior, features four cupolas on as many small towers as well as the larger octagonal plant. You access the building through three large portals. The larger one, opposite to the central apse, is surmounted by the high bell tower covered by semi-clayed green copper and is flanked by two arcades of three arches each supported. With columns with carved capitals. The facades of the transepts, however, have a large trifora each overlapping the portal with a five arcade porch. The interior of the church is a Greek cross with three aisles divided by two monumental columns per side. At the intersection of the arms, the dome continues to circulate still (2011) without frescoes. On the opposite wall of the entrance, over which there is a deep cantor, there are the three semicircular apses, of which the center is bigger and taller than the lateral ones. Among the presbytery and the space reserved for the assembly, there is the marble marble iconostasis designed in 1991-1992 by Zoran Petrovic, while the musive icons are made by Radlovic Duro, which made them between 1996 and 1998. The side altars are dedicated to the Nativity of Jesus (left altar) and to the Transfiguration (right altar). On the sides of the central iconostasis, the places for caricatures with carved wooden ligatures. There are two illustrious tombs in the church: that of the Serbian Emperor Stefano Uros IV Dusan, built in 1927 by Dragomir Tadic and located along the south wall, and that of Patriarch Herman along the north wall.