The cathedral of Kalmar (Kalmar domkyrka) is the main Lutheran church homonymous Swedish city. The cathedral built from 1660 on architect Nicodemus Tessin the Elder but was interrupted several times, also because of the Scania war from 1675 to 1679. The construction of the building then resumed and the cathedral of Kalmar was terminated in 1703. the building is in baroque style and has a Greek cross plan with corner towers, while the east and west arms are elongated and apse. The facade is inspired by that of the church of Jesus in Rome. Inside, despite the many restorations over the centuries, the church has essentially maintained its original character. The high altar, designed by Nicodemus Tessin the Younger in 1704, was built after 1712 by Caspar Schroeder. The altarpiece, by David von Krafft, is a copy of the Descente de croix painting by Charles Le Brun, located at the Musée des Beaux-Arts in Rennes. The blade is framed by two columns of porphyry that support a broken tympanum below which, made of golden wood, is a bas-relief depicting God Creator, topped by a similar bas-relief depicting the Holy Spirit in the form of a dove surrounded by angels. To the left of the altar there is the pulpit with canopy, made in the mid-17th century by the sculptor Balzar Hoppenstedt, supported by a statue of Saint Christopher the patron saint of the city.