Tourist Attraction in London: Church of Saint Margaret
The church of Santa Margherita, a historic part of Ossulstone in Middlesex County, is an Anglican cult site located near the Westminster abbey in Parliament Square, and is the parish of the British Parliament in London. It is dedicated to St. Margaret of Antioch. The church of Santa Margherita was built in the 12th century by the Benedictine monks of the nearby Westminster Abbey as the seat of the parish, which until then was in the abbey church. Nowadays too small and insufficient for the growing population, between 1486 and 1523 was rebuilt in Gothic style. In 1614 the Puritans, unhappy with the abbey, chose to move the parish of the parish in the church of Santa Margherita, in their opinion, more suited to this role. Between 1734 and 1738, on John James's project, the stone bell tower of Portland was rebuilt, while the façade portico was made by John Loughborough Pearson. The interior of the church underwent a restoration that made it look like current by Sir George Gilbert Scott in 1877. A stained glass window of 1509 reminds Catherine of Aragon's engagement with Arturo Tudor, Henry VIII's older brother. The other windows commemorate William Caxton, the first who brought the print to England, buried in the church in 1491, Sir Walter Raleigh, killed in the old mansion of the palace, also buried in the church in 1618, and the poet John Milton, who lived in parish. Collector Henry Constantine Jennings was also buried here. The church became a sought-after place for "corporate" marriages, including those of Samuel Pepys and Sir Winston Churchill. The church complex of Santa Margherita, the Palace and the Westminster Abbey is part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site. In the church of Santa Margherita there are concerts of the Choir of Westminster Abbey. The church of Santa Margherita rises in the park to the left of the abbey church of the Westminster Abbey, north of the latter and west of the Parliament Building. The exterior of the church is in a sober Gothic style; The facade, somewhat crushed, is salient, with the two lateral sides ending with a flat roof and the central with a slightly sloping sloping décor decorated with two small spiers. At the bottom, in the center, there is the arcade with three acute headstones, also topped by spikes. In each of the three sections of the facade, a polygon opens up to light inside. To the left of the façade stands the bell tower, built in Neo-Gothic style in the 1830's by John James. In stone of Portland, it is square-shaped, with several orders separate from cornices. At each of the four corners, there is a spire. The bell tower ends up with an octagonal lantern, with a smaller section. The interior of the church of Santa Margherita is three aisles, without apse, separated by six pointed arches resting on polystyle pillars. The ceiling of the three aisles is supported by dark wood trusses, with low accents decorated with golden pads. In the central nave, above the arches, there is the cleristorio which opens on the outside with twin pairs. The last four camps of the central nave are occupied by the presbytery, raised by a few steps to the rest of the church. In the front, there is the bronze ambone with the eagle-shaped leg, and on the left the pulpit, painted wood, with a perforated balustrade. In addition, along the two side walls, the wooden stalls of the chorus and, near the back wall, under the large pentafora closed with polychrome windows.