Tourist Attraction in Budapest: Budavari Evangelikus Templom es Gyulekezet
The Lutheran Church of Buda is the oldest Lutheran church in Buda located opposite the Vienna Gate, not far from the castle. It was built in 1896 by Neo-classical Mór Kollina, according to Maria Dorotea of Württemberg, consort of Count Palatine Giuseppe Antonio Giovanni of Asburgo-Lorena. A plate remembers the pastor Gábor Sztehlo, who during the Second World War saved more than two thousand human beings. Once a painting by Bertalan Székely, Christ sanctifies bread, ornamented the altar, but was destroyed in World War II by the Soviets.