The Westminster cathedral in London is the parent church of the archdiocese of Westminster. The Catholic cathedral is dedicated to the "Most Precious Blood of Our Lord Jesus Christ" and is located in Ashley Place, not far from Victoria Station, in Westminster. At the end of the 19th century the hierarchy of the Catholic Church had been restored in England and Wales. In memory of Cardinal Nicholas Patrick Stephen Wiseman (first archbishop of Westminster from 1850 to 1865), the first substantial sum of money was collected for the new cathedral. The ground was acquired in 1884 by the successor of Wiseman, Cardinal Henry Edward Manning. After two false starts in 1867 (under the architect Henry Clutton) and 1892 (architect Baron von Herstel), construction began in 1895 under the successor of Manning, Cardinal Herbert Vaughan. The cathedral project is for architect John Francis Bentley, who received the assignment from Vaughan. The first stone was placed on June 29, 1895, and the work lasted until 1903. One of the first functions was the funeral of Cardinal Vaughan, who died in June. However, the new cathedral was only consecrated on June 28, 1910, when the interior decoration work was completed. The Westminster Cathedral was visited by Pope John Paul II, who celebrated it on May 28, 1982. In 1977 and 1995 then by Queen Elizabeth II, at the invitation of Cardinal Archbishop Basil Hume on the occasion of the centenary of the founding of the cathedral. It was also visited by Pope Benedict XVI on his state visit to Scotland and England on September 18, 2010. The building is in neo-Romanesque style with numerous references to Byzantine art. The exterior is characterized by the oriental domes, for the red bricks of the bricks and above all for the high bell tower of Saint Edward, which reaches 87 meters high. The interior, decorated with marbles and mosaics, has a Latin cross plant, with three naves, a transept and several chapels. The central nave, with its 52 meters, is the first in width in England. From the eastern arch of the aisle lies a magnificent wooden crucifix about 10 meters high. In the presbytery, the main altar is topped by a marble canopy; Behind the altar is the episcopal chair, a copy of the papal throne of the Basilica of St. John Lateran in Rome. From the apse you access the crypt, dedicated to St. Peter, where there are several relics and graves of archbishops. To the right of the presbytery opens the chapel dedicated to the Virgin Mary (Lady Chapel), destined for the weekday celebrations; Among the other works, there is a bronze relic depicting Saint Teresa of Lisieux, Manzu. To the left of the presbytery is the Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament Chapel. In the left arm of the transept, St. Thomas Canterbury's chapel (Chapel of St Thomas of Canterbury) houses the tomb of Cardinal Archbishop Vaughan, founder of the cathedral. In the Baptistry, the first chapel of the right side nave, there is the baptismal font, a copy of the one kept in the basilica of San Vitale in Ravenna. Remarkable works of art are also the reliefs of the Via Crucis, by Eric Gill (1882-1940) and the white marble pulpit in cosmatic style. The major organ of the cathedral is located on the western matron; built between 1922 and 1932 by Henry Willis, was restored and expanded by Harrison & Harrison in 1984 and 1996; During this last operation, the transmission system has been replaced by electric tire. The organ counts 81 total registers divided by the four keypads, each with 61 notes, and the footswitch of 32 notes. He has no show and his canes are hidden behind richly carved wooden panels.