Tourist Attraction in Hamburg: Sankt Nikolai Kirche
The church of St. Nicholas is a nineteenth-century building in Hamburg, which remains the only one of the tallest in the world. It was built in Neo-Gothic style according to the plans of the Englishman George Gilbert Scott, which were preferred to the classical Romanesque of the prestigious German architect Gottfried Semper. He overwhelmed the destroyed medieval church in the Hamburg fire of 1842, which had sat on the ground part of the city center. With its 147.3 meters high, between 1874 and 1876, it was the tallest building in the world. He took the primacy to the cathedral of Strasbourg and then handed it over to the Rouen Cathedral, which was enlarged in those years. During the Second World War it was half-buried by bombing, so the original building remains the slender bell tower, which today has a commemorative value against the war. It was decided to restore the bell tower, but to demolish the rest of the building, reduced to bad conditions. In the 1990s a carillon was built inside the bell tower. The church crypt now hosts a documentation center.