The Cathedral of St. Mary, is the cathedral of the Archdiocese of Hamburg. It is located in Hamburg, in the district of St. Georg, in Platz Am Mariendom, already Danziger. The church was built between 1889 and 1893 as the parish church of the city of Hamburg, the first Catholic church built in Hamburg after the Reformation. The Neo-Romanesque design of the church is by architect Arnold Güldenpfennig. The west facade design is linked to the Bremen cathedral. The church was consecrated on June 28, 1893 by Bernard Höting of Osnabrück. During the Second World War, especially during the bombing of the city of Hamburg under the Gomorrah operation, all the windows, including the five glass windows with images of Maria's life, and parts of the roof and vault were destroyed. In restoring the archdiocese of Hamburg, after 1100 years, on January 7, 1995, the church of Santa Maria was elevated to the cathedral. Since July 2007, the church was restructured. With the consecration of the altar on November 23, 2008, the new Santa Maria cathedral was reopened.