Tourist Attraction in Iesi: Casa Museo Marchese Adriano Colocci Vespucci
Palazzo Colocci is an ancient noble residence in the city of Jesi, at the highest point in the city, in front of the Palace of the Signoria. It is reported that the palace was already owned by the Colocci in 1435, and in 1475 the Marquis Angelo asked permission to Jesi's Commune to place a front porch on the facade. In fact, the two sides of the portal note the signs of two sixteenth arches. Over the centuries, some parts were modified according to the needs of the generations of noble families who lived there. The Colocci in 1513 asked the City Council for permission to expand it. The palace assumed a Renaissance dress, and these works lasted until 1596. On the occasion of the marriage between Adriano Colocci and Vittoria Dolfin of 1735 the palace was heavily restored by the Roman architect Pier Paolo Alfieri, who transformed it according to the taste of 'era, baroque style. Alfieri conceived a scenic structure centered on the monumental ladder of honor. The latter was placed on the interior courtyard space. It is supported by columns and vaulted vaults, and it seems that his design is due to Vanvitelli. When Vittoria Dolfin was a widow he went to live on the second floor leaving his son Antonio the noble floor that he, after the death of his mother, restored entrusting the interior work to the painter, decorator and miniature Luigi Lanci of Fabriano. A future transformation led to the demolition of some frescoed times that were replaced with wooden coffered ceilings. The last descendants of the Colocci and Florentine navigator Amerigo Vespucci lived in this palace. The last descendant was the Marchesa Cristina Colocci Vespucci who left Jesi City a large portion of the building and an impressive amount of ancient goods, including paintings and sculptures, art objects, weapons and armor and family items used by house and a large number of historical documents for a museum to be built in memory of their lineage and tribute to their fellow citizens. Palazzo Colocci houses the Archives Colocci Vespucci and the Marchese House Museum Adriano Colocci Vespucci, which after many years of closure was reopened to the public in 2013.