Tourist Attraction in San Giovanni Valdarno: Basilica di Santa Maria delle Grazie
The basilica of Santa Maria delle Grazie is a sacred building that is located in Piazza Masaccio, in San Giovanni Valdarno, above the church of San Lorenzo. The basilica was erected in 1484 around one of the four doors in the city walls: the San door Lorenzo looking toward Siena. It was devoted to the venerated image of the Madonna, which was attributed to the miracle that she had supported the prayers of the Tancia mulch in favor of her niece who was a plague sick, a case that happened in 1478. Over time, the site ceased to be a strategic access to the city become a place of worship, first with the introduction of a tabernacle, then a chapel and then with the building of the church. Construction was completed in the first twenty years of the next century but later enriched for years to come. The facade was then rebuilt in a neoclassical style between 1840 and 1856. In January 1929 Pope Pius XI elevated the church to the dignity of a smaller basilica. The church is accessed through a double staircase; from the central door, crowned by a bezel of Giovanni della Robbia dating back to 1513, the ancient c wonder of the miracle emerges. The interior is divided into three aisles with columns that stand up to twelve times with frescoed sails. Between 1698 and 1704 times were decorated. Between 1720 and 1725 was built the great chapel south of the church. The great roundabout dates back to the late 1950s, instead of the eighteenth-century chapel destroyed during World War II.