Tourist Attraction in San Giovanni Valdarno: Museo della Basilica di Santa Maria delle Grazie
The Basilica Museum of Santa Maria delle Grazie is located in San Giovanni Valdarno. It is accessed from inside the basilica via a door to the right of the presbytery or from the outside through the left staircase of the porch. The museum, set up in 1990, has a small but significant collection of paintings from the 15th to the 17th centuries, including the Annunciation of Saint John Valdarno by Beato Angelico, painted around 1432 and already in the monastery of Montecarlo. Other works are the Trinity and four Saints of Mariotto of Nardo, the Cristus patiens and the Madonna with the Child and saints of Mariotto of Christofano, a shovel by Giovanni di Ser Giovanni, the Archangel Raffaele and Tobiolo of Giovanni di Piamonte, the Annunciation by Jacopo del Sellaio and a work by Domenico di Michelino. Among the works of the seventeenth century stands out the Decollation of St. John the Baptist by Giovanni da San Giovanni, 1620. The golden barn counter is home to a bust of wooden San Lorenzo attributed to Nanni di Bartolo (15th century). There are also numerous sacred objects and liturgical outfits from the Basilica's warehouses. The museum was expanded and renovated, reopening in November 2005.