The sanctuary of San Calogero is one of the most important and ancient Catholics of Agrigento. The church of San Calogero dates back to a period between the 13th and 14th centuries, when the town of Agrigento was ruled by the Chiaramonte family. The small building was built outside the walls of the ancient medieval city, in an area that was considered quite remote since there was a large moat, called "la Nave", at that time, which made the reaching the resort. The moat is only filled in the 19th century. In 1598 Pope Clement VIII approved the celebrations of the feast of Saint Calogero throughout Sicily. Such recognition gave great impetus to the cult of the saint, and also to the sanctuary. In 1863, following the application of the eversive laws, the church of San Calogero was assigned to the Franciscan friars in exchange for the convent of San Vito, converted into prison. Towards the end of the nineteenth century a widening of the city began with the construction of buildings outside the walls, giving the complex a greater centrality. The interior of the building measures 21.20 meters by 9. It is divided into three aisles by a double row of six corinthian columns that were once decorated with stucco festoons, probably buried in the restorations of the forties. Floral floral arrangements were ideally placed on the tree and its symbolic meaning, typical of the Christian tradition. The column, like the tree, is a link between earth and sky, thus representing the union between God and man. Overall, the church appears rather sober and the central part is the apse with rectangular conformation, with three chapels hollowed almost in the same plane, in the set, the idea of a Byzantine icon. The chapel in the center, containing the niche where the simulacrum of San Calogero is stored, is adorned with fine stucco. Significant are the details of reproductions of the identifying symbols of the saint, the stick and the deer: the stick represents the support, the deer is a symbol in the life of the saint. The altar is a 16th century artwork made of fine wood with tarsie in rose, orange and mother of pearl. In the thirties it was dismantled and abandoned in a closet of the Church of St. Peter. Subsequently, in the second half of the twentieth century, Monsignor Francesco Sortino, the rector of the sanctuary, recovered it and restored it, restoring the original designs and relocating it to the church. In the altar of the left nave is the Carrara marble statue of 1 meter and 70 centimeters attributed to the school of the Gagini. The work represents the Madonna who supports the child with the left, to whom he holds with the right a sphere, a symbol of divine perfection and of universal power. In the sanctuary are the statues of Saint Calogero. The oldest, wooden, is located in the niche of the tallest altar and dates back to the 16th century. It is 170cm high and 56cm wide, and is resting on a base. The second statue is outside the church. In cypress wood, dates back to 1915 and is a work by Calogero Cardella a valued sculptor of Agrigentino, confidant of the Arciconfraternita of Addolorata. The third most recent statue is a fiberglass copy of the 16th century original by Calogero Morreale di Favara, This is the statue used for processions. The fourth statue, the only one where the deer is depicted, is made of stone and is located in the outer niche, above the portal of the main façade. The last two statues are smaller in size: one, located at the secondary entrance of the sanctuary, 1 meter high and 20 inches in wood, was made by the Bottega of Sacred Art Giuseppe Stuflesser in Ortisei in 1961; the other, plaster and 80 cm high, is placed in the corridor leading to the sacristy.