Tourist Attraction in Sydney: Royal Botanic Garden Sydney
Royal Botanic Garden Sydney is an important botanical garden located in the heart of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. Opened in 1816, the garden is the oldest scientific institution in Australia and one of the most important historical botanical institutions in the world. It is open every day of the year and access is free. Its stunning location on Sydney Harbor and immediately adjacent to Sydney's central business district, Sydney Opera House and The Domain's large public parks ensure it is one of Sydney's most visited attractions. The botanical garden once housed a zoo. The zoo was the first in Sydney and operated in the Gardens from 1862 until 1883, when most were moved to Moore Park. During these years much of the remaining natural vegetation of the surrounding Domain was removed and planted as a park. The fig trees of Moreton Bay, one of the main elements of this plantation, continue to dominate the landscape. In 1879 a large area of the domain, south of the government stables (now the Music Conservatory), was taken for the construction of the Garden Exhibition Palace. This building is an exceptional example of Victorian architectural exuberance, with towers and turrets deployed around a 30-meter-diameter giant dome surmounted by a 61-meter lantern. The building was destroyed by fire in 1882 and the land, now known as the Palace Garden, was added to the Botanical Gardens. Moore was succeeded by Joseph Henry Maiden who, during his 28 years, added much to the landscape in which Moore matured. He organized the construction of a new herbarium building, inaugurated in 1901 (now part of the Anderson Building), and has made important improvements to the domain. However, the botanical gardens suffered from the loss of staff positions during the first war. Both the herbarium and the living collections. From 1945 Robert Anderson worked to reunite the two. In 1959 the Royal title was granted, and the Herbarium and the Royal Botanic Garden were reunified administratively under the title of the Royal Botanic Garden. Knowles Mair (1965-70) reached reunification and the Royal Botanic Garden began its return to eminence. Dr. John Beard (1970-72) and Dr. Lawrence Johnson (1972-85) further developed the organization, and the Robert Brown Building was opened in 1982 to house the Herbarium. The breadth of the activities increased in these decades with the formation of the Friends of the Royal Botanic Garden; educational and ecological programs; the Flora of New South Wales; the scientific journals Telopea and Cunninghamia and computerized documentation programs of both life and herbarium collections. The Garden's only distinct feature is the historic hand-carved sandstone dam that curves around Farm Cove from Mrs Macquarie's Point to the Opera House, which outlines the garden from the harbor and offers a focal point for visitors, jogging and photographers.