Ponto Turístico em Porto San Giorgio: Teatro comunale
The Municipal Theater of Porto San Giorgio, formerly Vittorio Emanuele II Theater, was inaugurated in 1817, after five years of work. It has 278 seats, of which 150 are in the hall and 128 in the three orders of stages. The theater was completed in 1817, after five years of work. Designer Architect was Giuseppe Locatelli of Tolentino. The area where the theater was built in the heart of the ancient city center, facing the main Church, originally saw the presence of the first Sangiorgese oven and two private homes. The theater subsequently underwent various structural changes, to reach its present architectural form in 1860. The title of the theater at Vittorio Emanuele was also given in 1860, when the King made a stop during a trip to Porto San Giorgio. The event inspired the scenographer Mariano Piervittori of Foligno to paint the great Sipario del Teatro; the Sipario was stolen (or lost) in the 1960s. In 1910, the Sangiorgese painter Sigismondo Nardi painted majestically the turn of the theater, with a great allegory of human arts and fate, pleasantly framed in a streak of stars (obtained with the effect of broken ceiling) and networks, signifying the vocation fishing vessel of the city and its inhabitants. Nardi's turn gives the Theater an original and precious historical-artistic profile. In 1950 the theater became a municipal property, staring at its denomination, still in force, at the Municipal Theater. Closed since the Second World War and almost throughout the Second World War, the theater will be permanently reopened to the public in 1992, following some years of good restoration, which has restored its original form. Since 1992, the theater hosts staged and frequent performances of all kinds, from prose, to the executions of the "Gran Concerto" Municipal Band, to the performances of emerging young artists. What makes it unique, from a historical point of view, the municipal theater of Porto San Giorgio is the polychrome plaster fresco that embellishes the ceiling. The vault, wisely frescoed in 1910 by the native painter of Porto San Giorgio Sigismondo Nardi, presents a great allegory of the human arts, represented by the playwrights, tragedians and poets of Classicity. They are embedded in a symbolic system in which celestial geometries (made with the technique of light of the ceiling) symbolize allegorically the fate of man's destiny. The whole plant of the work is delimited by nets that refer to the fishing history of the city, always connected to the Adriatic Sea. Another element of specificity of the municipal theater is the clay facade, where we find a large travertine slab. On it, between two masks depicting tragedy and comedy, the motto is "Castigat laughing mores". Attributed to the Latin poet Jean de Santeul, the motto can be translated as "The satire wraps the costumes by deriding them", and indicates the civil and pedagogical value as well as recreational of dramatic art in general. The municipal theater of Porto San Giorgio also presents the unusual feature of a Foyer on the third floor, at the last order of stages (instead of the much more usual central location). The foyer looks like a small elegant 19th-century room, properly furnished with armchairs and sofas. Since 2008, the foyer is named after Antoine de La Sale, the knight who in 1420 went to the Sibillini Mountains in search of the Sibyl.